Firearm Injury and Gun Violence: Healthcare's Role
About the Course
Firearm injury is a serious public health concern. Healthcare clinicians, healthcare workers, patients, clients, and communities can work together to help prevent firearm injury, both first time and repeat injuries. The terminology of gun violence can imply the context of a perpetrator in inflicting violence on others. The terminology of firearm injury is a more encompassing term that includes the context of all injuries caused by firearms: Unintentional and intentional. Dr. Bonne encourages an interprofessional and community-partnership approach for people to join together to be “anti-bullet hole” regardless of socio-political labels to increase firearm injury prevention efforts and help save the lives of children and adults.
In this course, healthcare professionals can learn about participating in injury prevention committee efforts, supporting and strengthening communities, and educating patients and families about firearm injury prevention.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Examine risk for firearm injury.
- Discuss less stigmatizing and political language that can be used when discussing firearm-related subject matter.
- Discuss sociopolitical influence behind the availability of firearm-related research.
- Identify one way an interprofessional healthcare team can work together to influence the prevention of firearm injury and violence.
About the Presenter
Dr. Stephanie Bonne, MD, is a trauma medical director who is chief of trauma and surgical critical care. She is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. She is involved in many advocacy and prevention-related intervention efforts including, but not limited to, the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Injury Prevention Committee (Vice Chair) and American Foundation for Firearm Injury Reduction in Medicine (AFFIRM advisory board member).
How to Receive Credit
- Listen to the entire recording which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?