Are you looking for new ways to market your real estate appraisal business? Consider starting an appraisal blog. You can establish yourself as an expert in your field and local market by posting insightful, industry-related blog articles. Blogging is a great way to strengthen your reputation among current customers as well as generate new leads. Just remember to post regularly and cover topics that are useful, engaging, and appreciated by your niche audience. Here are some excellent appraisal blog topic ideas to get you started.
There’s a lot of misconception around what an appraiser is and does. Write blog posts that bust the various myths about appraisal, including:
- An appraiser’s job is easy.
- Appraisers determine or “make” property value.
- Appraised value = market value or price per square foot.
- Appraisal inspection = property inspection.
Local market insights
Improve your reputation and earn more clients by establishing yourself as a local market expert. Share local market insights like:
- Which neighborhoods are well-established vs. up-and-coming?
- What local attractions or recreational areas have a positive impact on property value?
- What types of home improvements are sure to increase property value in your area?
Niche specialty insights
If you specialize in doing a specific type (or types) of appraisal, use your blog to showcase your knowledge in that particular area. Here are a few examples:
- If you perform a lot of luxury appraisals, discuss factors affecting luxury market value or give insights on your local luxury real estate market.
- If you specialize in green home appraisals, write about the impact of solar panels and other green features on property value.
- If you specialize in narrative appraisals, write about the advantages of this type of appraisal report and what kinds of properties it’s best suited for.
Points of interest for fellow appraisers
Especially if you’re self-employed, it’s essential to build a network and stay in touch with fellow appraisers. Doing so can help you earn more referrals and establish a positive reputation in the industry. Here are some appraisal blog topics that will help you strike up a conversation with other professionals in your field:
- List and describe your favorite tools to use on-the-job.
- Explain tips and tricks of the trade that other appraisers would find useful.
- Give advice on how to manage AMC relationships and get onto their preferred lists.
- Post about local networking opportunities and events—especially any events where you’re scheduled to speak or present.
Appraisal industry news and trends
Use your appraisal blog to demonstrate that you’re up-to-date on the latest industry news and trends. Topic ideas include:
- Housing market commentary, trends, and forecasts
- Shifts and trends in the appraisal profession (e.g., the appraiser shortage)
- The role of technology and AVMs
Evergreen topics for your appraisal blog
When it doubt, publish evergreen content. While it’s good to mix in blog post topics that are trendy, timely, and seasonal, be sure to write about plenty of evergreen topics. These will stand the test of time and may drive engagement and traffic for months or years to come. Ideas for evergreen content include:
- Comprehensive how-to guides
For more appraisal marketing tips, check out our posts: How to Build an Online Presence in 4 Steps and Top Appraisers Advice on How to Generate New Business.
Want to contribute to our blog? Apply here to reach thousands of readers on a weekly basis and establish yourself as a thought leader in appraisal.